Cape Anguille Lighthouse Inn
An idyllic and inspiring destination where rare birds sing songs of solitude
Our Inn at Cape Anguille is a restored century-old light-keeper’s home in a beautiful corner of western Newfoundland and is designated as a Registered Heritage Structure for Newfoundland and Labrador. The Atlantic Ocean provides the temperamental backdrop to the peaceful landscape, dotted with horses and sheep wandering the meadows and hills.
Nature lovers will enjoy the eagles patrolling the cliffs and silhouetted osprey carrying fish to their young as the sun sets on a limitless sea. Avid birdwatchers will delight at the variety and number of rare birds that call this place their home. Hikers and sightseers will revel in chance to walk the hills and coastline around the lighthouse, enjoying agreeable terrain and spectacular views, while those less inclined to hike can relax and enjoy the sights and sounds of the sea, birds hopping by your doorstep and the gentle seaside path that starts at our lawn.
Lovely white sand beaches at the provincial park lure you in for a stroll and perhaps even a swim, while the shopkeepers and craftspeople of the area are warm and welcoming.
This corner of Newfoundland is the most likely location for spotting blue whales, the largest animals ever known to have lived on the Earth. Keep an eye out for spouts on the horizon! A very rare beluga whale has also called the area its summer home, providing exquisite company for swimmers and paddlers alike. With luck, our bubbly buddy will return to renew friendships.
Reaching Cape Anguille
A splendid stopping point for ferry users
Access to the Inn is by car. At just 45 minutes from Port Aux Basques, this is the ideal spot to spend a night on your way to or from the Nova Scotia ferry. This is particularly true if your ferry schedule means you will have to drive at night. Moose and cars don’t mix well, but while the highway north of us winds through an area where moose are more common, the good news is that very few are spotted between the ferry and the inn, due to habitat and highway route.
Our beautiful lighthouse inn offers the amenities to secure a four-star Canada Select rating, so your comfort is assured. To add to the experience, we have eliminated TV’s and telephones, offering a genuine opportunity to escape ‘civilization’ and relax in peace and quiet (though cellular service and an office land line are available, should you need them).
· Ocean-view room: $120
· Hill-view room: $110
· Extra person in room: $15
(All prices in Canadian dollars, before tax and based on double occupancy. Applicable taxes include $3.45 levy and 15% HST.)
NEW! Fresh suppers made from local ingredients
We are now offering supper! Having a seafood plant in the neighbourhood, moose in the woods, and being surrounded by one of the province’s most fertile farming regions, we can provide a meal for guests that brings together what’s best on a given day. We also feature local wild berries, when possible. It’s going to be a fun epicurean summer!
Price: $30 + tax per person
More about Cape Anguille
· Visit nearby artisans in Hermitage
· Discover Newfoundland’s most productive and valuable wetland habitats at the Wetland Interpretation Centre
· Learn about the famous Wreckhouse winds
· The area is a birdwatcher’s paradise – Birdwatching
· We are careful not to interfere in a whale’s life – Whale Watching
· Those interested in exploring the highlights of this region may like to look into our three-day tour of southwestern Newfoundland.
· Our favourite hike is the Starlite Trail, which takes you up into the Long Range Mountains. Looking inland from the top, you will view a beautiful alpine valley covered in swaying grass, and an incredible variety of small bushes, mosses and flowers. Below you lies the Codroy River and on a clear day it is possible to look across the ocean to the islands off the coast of Cape Breton.
· Want to work on your swing in the midst of breathtaking scenery? Head to St. Andrews Na Creige Golf Course.
Learn more about the weather, getting here and other important information on our Logistics page.